- Must posses a valid Drivers License with no pattern of moving violations/accidents in either a personal or commercial vehicle.
- Must posses or be able to obtain a current DOT physical card.
- Must pass a company road test.
- Must meet Federal requirement of being 19 years of age or older.
- Must have knowledge of DOT regulations governing safe driving, hours of service, inspection and maintenance, and transportation of hazardous materials.
- Must be able to read and write and have the mental capacity to manually complete required paperwork and reports.
- Must have a desire to serve customers and support the Ward team at the service center.
- Must meet the Company’s minimum qualified drivers requirements, as defined by the Safety Department.
- Must be able to work required hours.
- Must wear steel-toed shoes/boots.
- Must have a pleasing personality and cooperative attitude.
- Must participate in random drug testing of all non-DOT employees.
- Must be able to accurately read gauges and dials.
- Must be able to enter and exit the vehicle’s cab using footholds and handholds.
- May be exposed to heat, cold, dust, irritants, etc.
- Must be able to successfully pass a post offer physical agility test, specifically designed for the tasks associated with the position. The physical demands for this position are “Heavy”, as defined by the Dictionary of Occupational Titles: Exerting 50 to 100 lb of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 lb of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 lb of force constantly to move objects, physical demand requirements are in excess of those for medium work.
- Specific physical demands include, but are not limited to:
- Carrying: Occasional, up to 75 lbs., up to 40 feet
- Pushing: Occasional, up to 70lbs. of force., up to 100 feet
- Pulling: Occasional, up to 70lbs. of force., up to 100 feet
- Lifting – Floor to Knee, Knee to Waist, Waist to Shoulder: Occasional, up to 100 lbs.
- Stooping, Twisting, Balancing, Bending, Climbing, Crouching, Kneeling, Reaching (below shoulder), Standing: Occasional
- Reaching (shoulder or above), Sitting: Frequent
This job description does not necessarily represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as circumstances change.
Please contact Rich Toby at 814-329-5436 or RWToby@Wardtlc.com with any questions.
JOB TITLE: Non-CDL Straight Truck Driver
REPORTS TO: Service Center Manager
OVERVIEW OF ROLE: To ensure the customer is always serviced first by providing efficient and safe, claim-free pickup and delivery service. Develop and maintain good customer relations to grow our business. To exemplify Ward’s identity in the marketplace.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and maintain effective relationships between the Company and the customer.
- Perform pickup and delivery service on designated assignment within standards.
- When required, unload and load trailer, either with or without assistance of dockworkers, with or without mechanical freight handling equipment. Properly perform task to assure safety and to prevent damage to cargo.
- Operate a hand held smart phone or tablet.
- Ensure all shipment paperwork (pro numbers, manifest, bills of lading, shipping orders, freight bills, etc.) required to move with shipments are properly completed and that appropriate paperwork accompanies each shipment when delivered.
- Reinforce marketing messages through daily conversations with customers. Work to understand and support targeted growth plans.
- Promote Ward’s identity in the marketplace by wearing the professional uniform within the guidelines of Ward’s uniform policy.
- Demonstrate proper freight handling and blocking methods and effective use of pallet tools.
- Provide customers with claim-free handling of their freight while performing pickup and delivery service on designated assignment and within standards.
- Support Ward’s claim prevention process by working with O S & D investigator at service center to report any overage, shortage or damage at time of delivery. Offer feedback/suggestions on loading practices to dock supervisors to prevent potential damage to freight during P & D operation.
- Apply O S & D labels (provided in driver’s notebook) when appropriate.
- Maintain safe driving record as required in P & D Manual – SAF 006.
- Provide a positive representation of the company by demonstrating safe, responsible driving practices. Operate company vehicle in a safe manner by applying knowledge and skills in maneuvering vehicle at varying speeds in difficult situations such as heavy traffic, inclimate weather, or in tight loading dock areas. Perform pre-trip, enroute and post-trip inspections on equipment. Ensure equipment defects are reported immediately.Keep tractor interior clean and orderly.
- Ensure safe transport of hazardous material in compliance with federal regulations. Check for proper preparation of shipping papers and ensure papers and markings on freight agree. Ensure the vehicle is properly loaded and placarded.
- Promptly report all accidents involving driver or company equipment and any delays due to customers, breakdowns, weather or traffic conditions, or other emergencies, or any irregularities relating to pickup or delivery of freight.
- Submit all paperwork and documents required by Federal D. O. T. and Ward Trucking in a timely manner.
- Participate in random Non-DOT drug testing program.
- Maintain security of freight and equipment.
- Offer dock supervisors feedback/suggestions on delivery loading sequence of P & D units.
- Provide constant feedback to Dispatcher and/or Operations Manager on freight characteristics.
- Provide feedback to Customer Service Coordinator and proper Territory Sales Manager on specific customer concerns.
- Actively participate in driver meetings and driver sales huddle meetings providing managers with feedback on customers, work processes and the competition. Read WOW TV to stay abreast of what’s happening within the company.
- Using Smart cellular phone or customer phones, regularly communicate with Dispatch the status of pickups and deliveries and delays or other problems encountered at customer facilities or on the roadway.
- Fully support all technologies and processes, introduced by Ward, that are intended to improve efficiencies and/or the customer experience. Support would include adherence to training programs, guidelines and processes associated with these systems.
- Other various job duties as assigned.